Monday, March 14, 2011

Leek and Root Vegetable Gratin

Sorry, no long time, no see! Life's been hectic and I haven't had a chance to post some receipes.

Made this recipe for friends this weekend and it went over well! This is probably best served as a fall dish. Root vegetables have lots of great nutrients. And I love leeks.

Also, I would highly recommend this dish if you have vegetarians at the table. It's filling and offers some variety.

As far as the fresh herbs mentioned in the recipe, I selected thyme.

I opted for the munster cheese option, even though I had to grate it myself.

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/vegetables/leek-and-root-vegetable-gratin/

Here are some examples of why, this is a great dish:

Parsnip nutrients:
Parsnips provide an excellent
source of vitamin C, fiber, folic
acid, pantothenic acid, copper,
and manganese. They also offer
a very good source of niacin,
thiamine, magnesium, and
potassium. They are a good
source of riboflavin, folic acid,
and vitamins B6 and E.

Sweet Potato nutrients:
Calcium 28.6 mg
Sodium 16.9 mg
Potassium 265.2 mg
Folate 18.2 mcg
Vitamin C 29.51 mg
Vitamin A 26081.9 IU

1 comment: