Sunday, July 17, 2011

Jess's chopped & Jeanne's salads

Summer Chopped salad, with cilantro lime vinagrette dressing (which is hilarious, if you know me as I am not the hugest cilantro fan but it's yumtastic with the lime.)
by Jess

This has been my favorite chopped salad to make this summer, with fresh veggies. I make this much to serve 2 of us.
- 1 corn on the cob, uncooked, kernels removed
- fresh basil leaves
- 1 head of romaine
- handful of mexican shredded cheese mix
- 1 pepper, diced, I happen to like orange or yellow
- 1 avocado diced
- Approx. 2 tablespoons red onion diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- half a cucumber, diced

for Cilantro Lime Vinagrette Dressing
INGREDIENTS:
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (key limes are good)
1 small jalapeno pepper, ribs and seeds removed, coarsely chopped (leave in some seeds if heat is desired)
1 clove garlic, halved
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon sugar
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 pinch cumin
1 pinch salt, to taste
1 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro

Jeanne's summer salad- one I learned from my sis
I don't have exact amounts of anything, I play with it until it looks "right"
- Feta
- Fresh raspberries
- Walnuts
- red or vidalia onion (you can do it without but I kind of like it)
- romaine
- Poppy seed dressing (the expensive kind in the case is really awesome!)
Play with it a bit- perhaps some tomato or whatever else you might have

No comments:

Post a Comment