Sunday, January 23, 2011

Another quick, delicious meal

This is another quick, but delicious meal I like to make us.

Butternut Squash Ravioli with Brown Butter Sage Sauce

I make this quick and easy, by purchasing Organic premade frozen Ravioli from Whole Foods. If you want to make this super fresh, here is a link to recipe for butternut squash ravioli. If there were more than 2 of us, I'd consider it. If you don't like Butternut Squash (I like the idea of the extra nutrients it brings), cheese also works.

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/ravioli-brown-butter-sage-10000001572917/index.html

But, the Whole Foods raviolis are delicious and cut the cooking time, which is perfect for when I get home at 7 PM and need to make dinner (fairly often.) Hey, if I had more time, I'd cook fresh every night, but that's not the way of our dual income home.

Anyways here are my directions, I don't have a lot of specifics, as this is something I learned how to make and don't have a written recipe for. Please note this is for 2 servings.
- Cook the Frozen Ravioli according to package directions
- While it's cooking, start making the sauce in a separate pan. Melt about 2 tablespoons of butter over low heat in a pan.
- As it starts to melt, add in 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh sage, half as much if you use dried sage, also add some salt and pepper to taste. (If you have them, diced shallots add some nice flavor also but aren't required.)
- Stir occasionally until the butter reduces to a brown liquid. Do not burn. This takes about 2-3 minutes.
- I like to throw in some walnuts right before it's done and toss them around in the sauce
- Finish cooking raviolis, strain them thoroughly.
- Toss the ravioli into the pan and stir, in the sauce
- Remove the raviolis and top with cheese. I have tried feta and grated parmasean.
- I have also tossed in fresh green veggies (peas, snow peas, carrots, anything I had frozen or at home) and mixed them into the sauce

Prep time: 20 minutes or less

You can play with it, to add more or less sauce as needed. But, it's delicious!

2 comments:

  1. YUM. One of my favorite things to order at restaurants. I'll have to try this one soon!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - I have butternut squash growing in my garden. Thanks for the reminder of a good way to use it!

    ReplyDelete